If you get mixed messages or just a bad vibe from an SEO company that contacts you for your business, don’t go any further. Click it off and move on. Remember, you’re in the driver’s seat when it comes to working with professionals. There are plenty of excellent firms and consultants to work with.
Following is a checklist of suspicious behaviors to watch for. If you spot one or more, run, don’t walk–away!
Unethical Business Practices
- Uninvited contact from an SEO company using a generic e-mail form letter.
- Guaranteed first-place ranking on any large search engine if you work with a particular firm. No one can guarantee such a thing
- Vague description of the services provided with wording you can’t readily understand. If you don’t ‘get’ it, don’t give the company your business.
- Requirement to link your website to the company’s. That’s a red flag. Just say ‘no.’
- Financial investment that includes a huge ‘setup’ fee and unrealistic monthly maintenance costs. Compare prices before doing business with any company.
- Suspicious practices. Some companies may attempt to ‘fool’ the search engines with unethical activity, leaving you to clean up the mess and maybe even lose your business.
Unfortunately, there are still many swindlers, con men, and greedy business people on the Internet and on the street, who are ready to swamp you with words, promise you the moon, receive your money, and then take off, never to be heard from again.
It’s up to you to be on the lookout for such criminals who try to swindle you out of your hard earned living. If you experience such behavior personally, report it to the police. Then search for a company who will put you, the customer, first.